TITLE OF POST: Senior Housekeeper
LOCATION: The Haven
RESPONSIBLE TO: Manager
HOURS: 20hours 30minutes per week (6hrs 50mins on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday)
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The main purpose of the job of a Senior Housekeeper is to lead, manage and supervise the Housekeeping team to ensure the home maintains a high standard of cleanliness.
We pride ourselves on providing a warm and homely environment for the people we support, so you are expected to be reliable, dependable and committed to make a difference in our Residential Care Home.
You will need the ability to inspire and motivate your team to achieve very high standards; good leadership, organisation and communication skills are therefore essential.
You will responsible for cleaning, supervising a small team of staff, dealing with rotas, one to one meetings, appraisals and on-going training, motivation and support.
You will be responsible for ensuring all rooms are maintained to a high standard, as well as ensuring budgets are adhered to and suppliers are sourced efficiently.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. CLIENT SUPPORT
- To ensure cleaning of all areas of the home are to the highest standard, including grounds.
- Establish and maintain a rapport with individual residents and agree a convenient time to carry out cleaning of the communal rooms.
- Keeping all areas of the Home, including all toilets, clean and tidy. This includes washing, dusting, polishing, vacuum cleaning and sweeping as appropriate.
- To organise and complete deep cleaning duties when required.
- To observe confidentiality at all times.
- To have an understanding of the needs of the client group and report any concerns to the project work care team.
- Obtain feedback from residents and staff regarding cleaning and quality to ensure that we are meeting the needs of the home and our residents at all times.
- Work closely with the Chef to ensure a high standard of cleanliness is kept in the food service/storage areas.
- Ensuring that domestic supplies storage, laundry, and corridor areas, are kept clean and tidy.
2. FINANCIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
- Maintain a three week Housekeeping staff rota, ensuring the housekeeping team are adequately staffed at all times.
- To work within agreed budget guidelines on staff costs and consumables and to co-operate in any action necessary so as to keep to budget.
- To instruct the Housekeeping Team in their role and required duties / allocation.
- To ensure that all cleaning and laundry consumables are ordered from current nominated suppliers in line with organisation purchasing policy.
- Ensure cleaning and laundry supplies are stored safely and used effectively to minimise wastage.
- To ensure that all written work both for internal and external use is of a high standard.
- To ensure stock takes are carried out regularly.
- To implement and maintain cleaning schedules for the entire home and ensure that they are adhered too.
- Ensure deliveries are checked against order forms and ensure that invoices are accurate, and to action any discrepancies immediately.
3. MANAGEMENT OF THE PROJECT WHILE ON SHIFT:
- Hours of work are PART TIME, working 6hrs 50minutes on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays. This role will report to the Home Manager and will be part of the Leadership team.
- To identify and reorder linen and cleaning supplies when they are short, and to order these when required to do so.
- To adhere to West London Mission's Health and Safety Policy in all aspects of the work.
- To update Health & Safety records including safety data sheets and to report any concerns to the management.
- Identifying and reporting repairs, and maintenance of equipment are kept to a high standard.
- To monitor the standard of cleanliness of client’s bedrooms and work closely with the care staff team in according to individual service needs.
- To maintain records and electronic systems, in an accurate and up to date fashion.
- To be supportive of your colleagues during times of crisis.
4. OTHER DUTIES
- Attend monthly team meetings, team review days and other meetings as agreed with the Project Manager.
- To keep abreast of current legislation in particular COSHH and Hygiene regulations and other matters relevant to successful support of clients.
- To participate in the selection, recruitment and induction of new Housekeeping staff, as requested.
- To join West London Mission in-house and other training, and where possible to become involved with working parties and/or surveys.
- To represent West London Mission and the Project externally at meetings, open days and events, as requested.
- To carry out specialist duties as agreed with the Manager.
- To adhere to West London Mission's Equal Opportunities Policy and Health and Safety Policy in all aspects of the work.
- To adhere to West London Mission's Code of Conduct.
- To attend and contribute to regular supervision with the Project Manager.
- To attend and contribute to an annual appraisal.
- To undertake such other duties, consistent with the general tenor of this job description as may be reasonably required.
POST: SENIOR HOUSEKEEPER
LOCATION: THE HAVEN
We want a Senior Housekeeper who can demonstrate the following competencies to a high level and wants to use these to the full in their work. We don't ask for any formal qualifications but experience in a similar setting is essential as well as genuine interest and enthusiasm. We will be looking for evidence of all the following key competencies during the selection process, if you are shortlisted.
- Personal Effectiveness
- Organisation and delivery of results
- Pro-activity and Initiative
- Creativity & Problem-solving
- Analytical Thinking, Expertise & Personal Development
- Managing self and relationships with others within the team
- Works effectively with external agencies
- Building effective relationships
- Customer/Client focus & managing diversity
- Maintaining and using systems
- Using IT
Although we are keeping direct experience /knowledge requirements to a minimum, we do need you to use the Job Application form to demonstrate your capacities in relation to each of the criteria listed in sections below (addressing each point in order).
- Previous Experience
- Experience of dealing directly with the public and/or clients or customers in a busy service environment.
- Experience of supervising colleagues.
- Experience of housekeeping duties.
- Special Knowledge and Requirements
- A genuine interest in helping vulnerable people, including those with mental health and alcohol misuse issues to make changes in their life.
- Some understanding of some of the kinds of challenging behaviour that clients might demonstrate and awareness of basic strategies for dealing with challenging behaviour.
- Familiarity with IT applications and basic keyboard skills.
- Understanding of:
- The importance of confidentiality in relation to work
- Professional boundary issues
- An understanding of and the commitment to diversity & equality as it applies to a supportive service and in the workplace.
- Additional Requirements
- Willingness and ability to work some weekends if required.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of shift/rota on occasions
- Willingness to work flexibility in response to changing organisational requirements.
- Commitment to WLM’s values and understanding of its Christian ethos